Safety Procedures Checklist for Muslim Students
In light of the recent elections, it is imperative that students on campus take extra precautions to ensure their safety. While our ultimate destiny is with Allah (swt), we remind all students to ‘tie their camel’ and do their best to stay aware, alert, and safe. Use the following checklist to ensure that you are taking the necessary steps to be safe on campus:
- Be aware of your surroundings: do not allow technology to distract you.
- Never walk alone- either create a buddy system with the MSA or use the campus escort service.
- Utilize locks on your personal items (car, bicycle, etc.) and at your dorm or apartment.
- Carry some emergency cash
- Locate the emergency system areas on campus
- Know your way around campus
- Always have emergency contacts on you or in your device
- Consider carrying pepper spray, a whistle or taking a self-defense course
- If you think someone is following you, switch directions or cross the street. If the person continues to follow you, move quickly toward an open store or restaurant or a lighted house. Don’t be afraid to yell for help.
- Keep your phone charged and have a portable charger handy at all times
If anything does happen to you, be sure to:
- Contact your campus security immediately
- Contact your local CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations) office. You can find your nearest CAIR office’s contact info at cair.com or by emailing email@example.com
- File online bullying complaint:
a. Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights:
b. Department of Justice, Community Relations Service:
- Contact MSA National if you need any additional help: firstname.lastname@example.org